I've just finished reading the final Harry Potter book. I must share with you my conviction that this is the most satisfying, most thrilling, most complete book I have ever read in my whole life. It is the pinnacle example of why stories, through books, have created book-lovers -- and truth-seekers -- like me through the ages. I am SO proud of J.K. Rowling for hitting this one out of the ballpark.
I haven't read the NY Times review by Michiko Kakutani yet, and I don't know if I will, but in case you'd like to, I've provided the link referencing it. My sister said that Ms. Kakutani deemed this last HP volume to be worthy of Joseph Campbell's mythos, and when I heard that I was skeptical, perhaps even jeering. Yeah right, my snob self said. Or rather, I would guess it said that, since I can't remember. Either way I definitely doubted such claims.
But now, after having completed reading the book, I definitely agree with this view. And I add that I am so glad that I took my time with it and did not rush through or stay up reading it like many people I know or heard about, because it was I who needed to be alert and rested when I got to the crescendo moments, the points of ultimate truth in the book's final sections. All the myths, and by myths I include the myths of major religions, came together in the book's climax, and when it does it is the reader who must stand up to it as the steady witness.
I haven't read the NY Times review by Michiko Kakutani yet, and I don't know if I will, but in case you'd like to, I've provided the link referencing it. My sister said that Ms. Kakutani deemed this last HP volume to be worthy of Joseph Campbell's mythos, and when I heard that I was skeptical, perhaps even jeering. Yeah right, my snob self said. Or rather, I would guess it said that, since I can't remember. Either way I definitely doubted such claims.
But now, after having completed reading the book, I definitely agree with this view. And I add that I am so glad that I took my time with it and did not rush through or stay up reading it like many people I know or heard about, because it was I who needed to be alert and rested when I got to the crescendo moments, the points of ultimate truth in the book's final sections. All the myths, and by myths I include the myths of major religions, came together in the book's climax, and when it does it is the reader who must stand up to it as the steady witness.
For those of you still in the midst of this tome, happy reading! This is the first time I've experienced a phenomenon where when I sat on the subway or on the bus there was always someone next to me or 2-3 seats away from me reading the same book. On the bus today I was absorbed in my copy, and when I happened to look up because the bus lurched I saw that the woman next to me was also reading her copy. Two strangers sitting side by side on an express bus, reading the same book. It's quite surreal. I commented to my fellow passenger how strange it was for me to see us reading like that, and she said she read the book already and was on her second go at it.
I don't blame her. I am now going back to book 1 and starting the adventure all over again. I still remember asking for it from my mom along with book 2 exactly 7 years ago for my birthday present. (Note the number 7 here, HP fans.) My mom was like, "You want what? Harry who? Under children's books?! But you're turning 28!" And I was like, "Look, you asked what I wanted for my birthday...."
J.K. Rowling has achieved quite the feat in creating this long, well-sustained symphony of a series. Right now, at least at this moment, I think she really does deserve to be the richest woman in England.
I don't blame her. I am now going back to book 1 and starting the adventure all over again. I still remember asking for it from my mom along with book 2 exactly 7 years ago for my birthday present. (Note the number 7 here, HP fans.) My mom was like, "You want what? Harry who? Under children's books?! But you're turning 28!" And I was like, "Look, you asked what I wanted for my birthday...."
J.K. Rowling has achieved quite the feat in creating this long, well-sustained symphony of a series. Right now, at least at this moment, I think she really does deserve to be the richest woman in England.
2 comments:
My God, Theresa! That is quite the recommendation. We forgot to talk about why I stopped reading Book 1 after 15 pages. I guess maybe I should give it another go, huh?
--Andrew
Umm, not sure if I can say yes to your question. Reason why is that the set-up of the saga takes an entire book, maybe even the first 3-4 books, and if you don't like children's YA books or fantasy stories it will just make you impatient. And the editing for books 4 + 5 is atrocious -- too lengthy and wordy, and so obvious that they just wan to plump up the story for book sales. But if you can endure all that, the rewards are worthwhile, esp. by the time you get to book 7. There are plenty of surprises and FUN! for every book in the series, but patience and compassion for the author and her characters are definite musts.
Post a Comment