I loooooove survey questions. And since I can do whatever the hell I want in my corner of blogosphere, I would like to list some of my top picks on certain topics, and I would love to hear your responses of your favorites too. The part where you share your picks is important to me, so please see this as an open door invite. And let me know if there's a topic you want covered.
First up:
Top 5 Nonfiction Books I've Read the Past 5 Years -- and a brief explanation on why
1. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert = I felt I was reading about my twin sister. Teaneck T as travelling, meditating, feasting white woman. After I read it, I looked at the amount of reviews on Amazon that pelted the author for being so self-absorbed, and I was like, "Holy chihuahua! Mirror, face thyself!" Reason why I haven't jumped out the window yet given this discovery is that one of my favorite people of all time loves this book too and finds it one of the most beautiful book she has ever read.
2. The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz = I loved this book so much that at one point I announced I would buy it for anyone who personally asked me for a copy.
3. The Modern Library Writer's Workshop by Stephen Koch = when I read this for a CUNY Grad class called Being Prolific, I said, "my goodness, no one has ever told me any of this!" My high school friend Linda, who happened to be my classmate (reunited and it feels so good...) felt the same way.
4. Two-Part Invention: Story of a Marriage by Madeleine L'Engle = her Crosswicks Journal books, which are her musings while living out in the country, are far more beautifully written to me than the fantasy trilogy that brought her fame. This book in particular stands out for its eloquence. And the structure of the book mimics the Bach work (hence the name) -- left hand's notes upholds the right hand's; flashbacks contrast the present; spouse supports the spouse. It's brilliantly done.
5. You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay = this book opened up a whole new paradigm for me and forever changed the way I think. It has also oriented me towards other books that kept altering and deepening me.
Top 5 Nonfiction Books I Hope to Read in the Next 5 Years:
1. The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion
2. Wayne Dyer's upcoming book on the Tao
3. Zen Driving by K.T. Berger -- ha ha!
4. The Portable MFA in Creative Writing by the New York Writer's Workshop
5. Spiritual Traveller: New York City by Edward F. Bergman = looking forward to going to every place in this book with camera on hand
--------------
What about you?
3 comments:
OK, Theresa, this is fun. This will be right off the top of my head without too much thought:
1. "Happy Yoga" by Steve Ross -- my philisophical reference book, which is embarrassing to say sense it is quite a "low brow" book. The book has been particularly comforting when it comes to relationships by basically asserting that romantic relationships make it more, not less, difficult to find happiness.
2. "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell -- it was such a fun read that I was surprised by how much of an impact it had on me. I find myself quoting scenes from the book all the time.
3. "Lies: A Diary 1986 - 1999" by Ned Rorem -- I wish I lived Ned Rorem's life. I love him.
4. "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan -- Changed the way I think about food and its relationship to the environment.
5. "The Songlines" by Bruce Chatwin -- launched my obsession with CHatwin, which, thankfully, is over, but definitely an amazing book even if its status as "non-fiction" has been called into question.
-- Andrew
Yeay!!! I LOVE your response -- the books you've picked sound so compelling. I hope more people respond with their picks. I am so interested in finding out what other people are drawn to, not just about books but everything.
Only non-fiction? Truthfully, when I get the opportunity, I go to a place that only exists in that other plane of being, where the author and myself share a vision that hasn't ever made it into the flesh.
I think of all your photos, this one moved me most viscerally. I have no doubt that you gave that place the magic it only dreamt it might hold. Great photo.
Post a Comment