Friday, May 05, 2006

the rarest of friends (a Friday Five)

Pax at her belly dancing class in New Mexico. Photo taken 7/26/05 by a classmate.


How can I not post a Friday Five on a Cinco de Mayo that falls on a Friday? That would be sacrilege! The photoblog gods would be offended.

So here's today's Friday Five. Tomorrow is the birthday of my dearest friend Pax. In honor of her and the happiness she has given me for 20 years -- das right, we started hanging out 20 years ago during our freshman year at the high school we had to take a ferry to get to -- I dedicate today's Friday Five to the mighty Googie.

Top Five Qualities That Astound Me About Pax the Friend: (not to be confused with things that astound me about Pax the Mom, or Pax the Artist, or Pax the Wife, or Pax the Math Genius, or Pax the Family Problem Solver, or Pax the Philosopher, etc. etc.)

1. True ability to love. Genuine connection with it as an emotion, as an energy, and as a life force.

2. INCREDIBLE--maybe the word is even UNLIMITED--patience with my bizarre moods. Knowledge that whatever it is I'm going through must be pretty bad for me to be so odd.

3. Not using me solely for emotional garbage can/let-me-unload purposes. (And all the while knowing that it is okay to do so.) Not allowing me to do the same to her.

4. Not messing with things I find sacred. Knowledge of what these sacred things are.

5. Always choosing, somehow, to be happy, to be honest, and to be brave. Not necessarily always succeeding in being these, but the conscious choice is always there.


You are the greatest, my wonderful Paxmeister! I love you forever. Hope you have a wonderful birthday tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy Canoli! You're so awesome! This is the sweetest birthday present ever! ^____^ I was thinking about you and your writing classes and thought, maybe I'd check your blog to see if there were any new entries, and there I was in full belly dance gear. How funny! I love you too, oh sister of the spirit and heart. Happy birthday to you too. May your railroading be fast, furious and fun. Was it a Goethe saying that there is magic in action? (Or something like that...)

See you in a month!

Love, your Googs