Friday, February 01, 2008

NYC puddles


The other midtown (found in water). Photos taken 2/1/08.


Holy chihuahua, I was so in love today. I was let out early because apparently I had a bad case of the computer cooties (long story, no need to get into it here). Usually when I get out of work the sun has been long gone and most people are having dinner. Today, though, I was out at twilight and I saw how much unexpected beauty was waiting for me in the rain.

Walking past the lions library I was astounded by the way the buildings and shadows were reflected in the puddles during the onset of early evening. I kept walking up and down the block, marveling at the mirror images of skyscraper and tree branches and umbrellas and legs perfectly reflected on the ground. I was able to take some photos with my handy-dandy point-and-shoot while the rush hour pedestrians swirled around me, but I don't think my camera captured the magic of being there in that blue moment of golden lights and muted shadows.

The interesting thing was no one seemed to notice what I was enchanted by. In those few minutes of strolling up and down that block, it really felt like there was an opened treasure chest in front of me brimming with gold, and those walking past it were more intent on heading to their next destination. A more plausible idea is that I tend to heighten things beyond normative standards.

In any case, here are more photos from my mesmerized walk in the rain. They're not exactly Edward Steichen, but hopefully these unretouched photos reflect how much I enjoyed today's lousy weather.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You make me miss NYC with your posts, especially this one!