"The only exercise I know is one I don't use much myself because it works a little too well. It can feel extremely compelling. It's useful if you're trying to discover what to write next, and are willing to be surprised. Say to yourself, 'Two people are coming out of a building.'"
- Allice Mattison, Now Write!
Two people are coming out of a building. The lawyer, Mr. Earl, asks Rita, "How did you know it was over? I'm curious after what I just saw in there."
Rita doesn't answer right away. She holds the door open for him. Then she laughs. "Actually, I knew during our honeymoon.
We were in Paris, as a gift from my dad, at the Sacre Coeur church to be exact," she explains. "He jumped the turnstiles because he didn't want to pay five euros to climb up to the top. The tourists behind us looked at him like he was some kind of animal. 'It's a goddam roof,' he says. 'Why the hell would I pay money for that?'"
"That was when I knew," Rita says. "It's one thing to be cheap when you're on vacation, but right then and there I saw him haggling with plumbers and cashiers for the next 20 years, and I just didn't want to go there. I think that was the start.
That night I couldn't bring myself to touch him. I picked a fight and used that as an excuse to sleep early."
(Portrait 1)
Two people are coming out of a building. The lawyer, Mr. Earl, asks Rita, "How did you know it was over? I'm curious after what I just saw in there."
Rita doesn't answer right away. She holds the door open for him. Then she laughs. "Actually, I knew during our honeymoon.
We were in Paris, as a gift from my dad, at the Sacre Coeur church to be exact," she explains. "He jumped the turnstiles because he didn't want to pay five euros to climb up to the top. The tourists behind us looked at him like he was some kind of animal. 'It's a goddam roof,' he says. 'Why the hell would I pay money for that?'"
"That was when I knew," Rita says. "It's one thing to be cheap when you're on vacation, but right then and there I saw him haggling with plumbers and cashiers for the next 20 years, and I just didn't want to go there. I think that was the start.
That night I couldn't bring myself to touch him. I picked a fight and used that as an excuse to sleep early."
No comments:
Post a Comment