Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Serendipitously catching a photo shoot at the Brooklyn Bridge. Photo taken 9/24/07 while doing the Big Onion Walking Tour of Brooklyn Bridge and Brooklyn Heights.


Oy. I've noticed that neither me nor my blogista pals have posted a new entry in a while (I'm talking to you AgB, Rainbow Flower, and Creative Path). Has blogging become a thing of the past?

Duh, of course it has. Blogs have been out for as long as Ryan Seacrest has been the host of E! News. But I know for a fact that my blogging has nothing to do with it being a fad but everything to do with the versatility of the medium, and I'm pretty sure my friends felt similarly.

In any case, hope this entry incites an online journal/scrapbook revival. I miss reading new entries of my friends' blogs.

5 Random Confessions Teaneck T Is Willing to Make Today

1. I've begun watching The Hills. Yes, you are allowed to make fun of me for this. There's something about watching these vapid teen-agers create drama out of sheer boredom that fascinate the living crap out of me.

2. Of this year so far:
Best book I've read = Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.

Worst book I've read = Glamorama by Bret Easton Ellis. I couldn't get past page 10. Started the book on the bus ride from Port Authority; the bus has barely entered I-95 and I was done with the book.

Most surprising book = Creating a Life Worth Living by Carol Lloyd. This is a 97-cent galley copy Lorin bought at the Strand more than a decade ago. While reading it I kept marveling at how helpful and enjoyable it is, and how the choices I've made over the years might potentially have been far different if I had read this book sooner.

Most disappointing book = How to be Good by Nick Hornby. Oh, this book makes me Sigh with a capital S. I love love love Nick Hornby. I thought the guy could rewrite the phone book and it would come out good. I guess not. But I nevertheless remain proud of the guy for taking risks with his writing. All real artists have a "bring it on" attitude when it comes to trying out new things, and he certainly did that with this book.


3. I was playing with Kayla last weekend. We were playing some pretend royalty game that involves an inflatable ball. At some point, figuring I had given her ample attention, I asked her if it's okay now for me to go up and say hello to her baby sister. To which Kayla replied, "No. You already said hi to her." I stared at her, giving her the ole sober-adult look. Kayla looked at the ground and pouted. "No," she repeated. "You're my Duchess Triccie."

4. The idea of writing entire notebooks in numbered-list format excites me to no end. I saw Into the Wild yesterday (excellent flick; highly recommended) and saw that the guy wrote like that. As in:
"31. rice emergency in a few days.
32. I should never have shot that moose."

Even though I was very much into the movie, a part of me started taking notes when I saw him write like that. Sure enough, when I woke up this morning the note-taker presented me with those scenes from the movie, and I got excited again.

5. I've already decided that next spring I'll be going on the 7-day Rick Steves walking tour of Rome, God willing. With or without Lorin. Walk Rome or bust.


And you -- any random confessions you care to make? Five in number or otherwise?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was so wrong with "How to be Good." Too much of a sucker for happy endings?

Life is often funny and painful, simultaneously, (and I don't mean "Into the Wild" frostbite kind of pain). I certainly felt like I did better with this one than I did with "About a Boy."

I guess people might not like this book in the same way that some people don't like Woody Allen's later films because he doesn't tie up all the loose ends, or lets the bad guy get away. But that's life, right?

I mean, we cement ourselves in these relationships and often secretly wish the other would change...so, what if they did? I guess it's a "be careful what you wish for" kind of story. I rather liked writing it, and I thought I gave the husband a FANTASTIC name. :)

Teaneck T said...

Wow, Mr. Hornby, given how I'm such a huge fan of yours I am highly impressed that you are cruising my measly barely-cared-for photoblog.

How is the FANTASTIC husband's move to the suburbs? Did it resuscitate the Angry Man within?

Teaneck T said...

Btw, former Angry Man/current Nick H defender, I highly suggest Polysyllabic Spree. I put reading book reviews up there with eating chicken feet, but I could not put down that book.

Anonymous said...

So, let me get this straight. You can live in NJ and still go into the city to do cool things? Ahh, interesting idea.

Did I really come off that angry to you? (You can say yes). The way I (choose to) remember it we had some laughs at RB and FOF's expense.

We move in less than two weeks. I believe I am starting to suffer some sort of depression. I need a DJ GoodNews--or even just a DJ, or maybe just some good news.

I will be sending you an email. BTW, I said the husband's NAME was fantastic. I didn't say the husband was fantastic. Keep the pictures coming :)